Imagine turning yourself into a robot or a cyborg. What if your body does not have muscles but an entirely different world inside? Carry around an accessory without risking getting it lost or stolen. Do this with 3D tattoos.
3D tattoos are gaining popularity these days among tattoo enthusiasts. This is basically the next level of body art. Instead of just having images and symbols on your body, you can turn yourself into a living work of art. Many can hide their scars or body imperfections with tattoos. But others choose to have these because it can represent who they are.
Brief History of Tattoos
Tattoos have been around for a long time. It has been a part of ancient civilizations and of people long before machines were born. Tattoos are pretty much one of the older part of humanity’s culture.
Many different places across the globe used tattoos thousands of years ago. This has become part of their identity. For native tribes around the world, tattoos are a way to identify which tribe a person belonged to. It can also tell their status in the tribe they are in.
Apart from status, tattoos are a thing of beauty for most tribes. They wear their tattoos as a symbol of beauty, elegance and strength. It can also tell their story and show their belief, especially their faith in their deities.
For ages, tattoos became a bigger part of society. Nonetheless, it gained negative feedback from people as it became a symbol of thugs, gangs, and people who served in jail. However, it is gaining back the positive vibe that surrounded it way before. Now, more and more people are more open to getting a tattoo.
The Modern Technique – 3D Tattoos
3D tattoos are more on the modern side of tattooing. These tattoos are more commonly found today, when the tattoo industry is thriving.
Getting a 3D tattoo is impossible without a good tattoo artist by your side. They need to be proficient in the style in order to create a visually stunning tattoo. It is not just about how they draw the design but the technique in making it 3-dimensional as possible.
Basically, 3D tattoos are done by creating shadows, highlights and adding blurs and sharpening shapes. Through these, artists are able to make tattoos that look like they are away, coming out, or going away from the body. The angles and the way the drawings were drawn also plays a major part in making a tattoo look “alive.”
The lighting and the shading can help the subject look rounder. The highlighted areas often look like it is closer to the viewer. The shadows are there to tell the viewer how much space there is between the skin and the subject. This helps create the illusion that a subject is “above” the skin.
Apart from shadowing, highlighting, and blurring, geometric designs can also make an optical illusion. These can create illusions that can make the dimension of the body different that what it’s supposed to be. Through lines and shapes, the body could appear longer, narrower, wider, or even concave or convex.
These techniques help artists create mind-blowing body art. It makes the viewers think twice and turn their heads around. There is no wonder 3D tattoos are getting more popular than ever.
3D Tattoo Designs – Robots, Cyborgs, and Gears
Perhaps the most popular design many 3D tattoo enthusiasts want to get has something to do with machines. They love turning themselves into robots and cyborgs, if only with just art. These are mostly known as biomechanical tattoos.
The usual design for these biomechanical tattoos are in 3D style. It definitely leaves a lasting impression on whoever looks at the tattoo. Usually, it shows a part of the body where the tattoo is with the skin ripped away showing gears and wires. You can do this on any part of the body but most enthusiasts have it on the chest, back, and full sleeves. Sometimes, they actually cover the majority of their upper body.
While this is a popular choice among men, there are many women who also choose this. However, theirs are usually more subtle or smaller than usual.
Photo Realistic 3D Tattoos for Family and Pet Lovers
Apart from biomechanical tattoos, another popular 3D tattoo designs often include portraits of their families and even pets. Instead of carrying pictures of their loved ones, they tend to have them tatted on their skin. As a tattoo, this is often a dedication to their family and even pets for the love they have given.
However, this may be the hardest design to do. The artist have to make a photo-realistic tattoo to really capture your loved ones’ features. They need to incorporate every technique to create a 3D tattoo of a person or even a pet.
Artists have to capture the right lighting, shading, contouring, and highlighting to create the illusion of realness. It helps make every part of the tattoo appear almost like that of a photo or even of the real person. They also have to pay to even the littlest details, especially the hair or fur.
Mind Blowing 3D Tattoo Designs
The best thing about 3D tattoos is that you can make almost any kind of design. It does not matter whether it has deeper meaning or fully for aesthetics. Normal and abstract designs will definitely deliver mind blowing effects.
Here are some designs that you can do or perhaps give you some inspiration for a future design:
- The “all-seeing” eye – While this may sound a bit controversial, it does not need to have any connection to the Illuminati. The eyes are the perfect subject for a 3D tattoo. You can simply have a picture of an eye. Or you can make it look like it is reflecting something. It can be an eye of a human or eyes of animals. If you prefer the latter, have an eye of the tiger or an owl.
- Flower design – Flower tattoos are pretty popular, especially among women. If you want a 3D body art, you should pick something more complicated. A rose, carnation, or a chrysanthemum will provide the effect you need thanks to its layers of petals.
- Skull – Skulls are often associated with death and negativity. However, skulls and skeletons could also signify the cycle of life and rebirth. Achieving a 3D skull tattoo usually requires heavy shadowing and shading to give the effect of hollowness.
- Torn skin – This is one of the most usual design for 3D tattoos. Wearers often want a design that includes torn skin. Beneath the skin lies the biomechanical parts or even the “muscles.” Some also choose a more surreal design. For example, a torn skin could show the galaxy or universe beneath it or perhaps an underwater scene.
- Carved skin – These are the types of designs that are rather creepy and a bit scary. However, the end result will definitely leave the viewers amazed. The designs for these “carved” body or skin is limitless. You can create a certain pattern or you can carve out any shape you want. For added effect, they usually make it appear like the inside of the body is hollow and filled with light.
- Skin carved laced corset – This is the torn skin version for women – skin carved laced corset. In the design, it usually “covers” the muscles or the skeletal system.
- Ancient carved stones – Tattoo enthusiasts can have a tattoo of carved stone tablets on their skin. This can be done in a 3D style and make the stones appear like they are real.
Keep forgetting putting some accessories? Or do you want to have something but don’t have the resources to get one? Perhaps you want a good accessory without wanting the risk of losing it? Well, you can now have an accessory that will stay with you forever. This is possible with tattoos.
Some choose 3D styling for their body art for specific tattoo designs such as accessories. You can now have a watch on your wrist for the rest of time (it does not work, though). Or you can have your favorite necklace with you all the time.
Usually, those who choose these kinds of design often have more than just a weird fascination with accessories. More often than not, the accessories they want as tattoos have sentimental value. For example, couples can also have their wedding rings tatted on them.
Others also choose certain accessories that can also pass as a great tattoo design. For example, a compass necklace that looks like it’s floating inches away from your skin. The compass has a deeper meaning as it represent guidance in your life’s journey.
Optical Illusions as Tattoo Designs
While we’re talking about 3D tattoos, we should include optical illusions as tattoo designs. Many choose these for the sole purpose of tricking the viewers. They are more for aesthetics and fascinating tattoo designs rather than for having deeper meaning.
3D tattoos have the same goal: to trick anyone who is viewing it. Through the right technique, a tattoo design could look real. That is why optical illusions with the use of lines or shapes are also getting more popular.
Perhaps the most popular design right now is the cube made up with various lines. The lines help make the cube appear 3-dimensional; with its own space and mass. Another design are created with lines waving at certain spots to create a shape. It could create a heart (the anatomically correct heart shape) or any other designs you want.
Other optical illusions include small boxes. Some are made with dots or with different shadings and sizes. Doing these create the illusion of making a body part appear convex or concave.
- Funny and Witty 3D Tattoo DesignsFor those who love a good laugh or making other people laugh, funny designs are in. You can create your own design or get inspiration from designs you have seen on others or the internet.If you want some inspiration, here are some good designs:
- Getting fat lately and wanted to make it light? Why not get a bulging belly tattoo design? For this, it would appear like you are wearing a button down polo that can’t be buttoned down on the belly area. It’s a fun way to love yourself!
- Others choose a unique door design with a person opening the door and looking from within you. This can be kind of weird but really funny.
- Scars are not something you should be ashamed of. While others cover scars with tattoos, highlight yours by making a tattoo surrounding it. For example, an open zipper which shows the scar.
- Love the torn skin idea? Why not have one and instead of showing muscles, skeletons, or gears, make yours the costume of Superman, Batman, Ironman or any superhero? It’ll be like living your childhood dream.
How to get a 3D Tattoo
Fascinated with these jaw-dropping 3D tattoo designs? Get one with the help of a great tattoo artist. You have to find a person that can turn your vision into reality.
First off, you have to make sure that your tattoo artist is someone who can really create a mean 3D body art. As previously mentioned, this is the hardest technique. It takes great skill to master this skill so not every artist can do it properly.
Don’t be afraid to look at the portfolio of tattoo artists around your area. If you know someone who actually has a 3D ink, you can ask them who their artist is. Then, you can visit that artist and talk to them about your design.
You also need to have an open mind. Some designs may look great in your mind but can be quite impossible or complicated in real life. You should be open to getting suggestions from your artist. Great designs come to those who know how to work with their tattoo artists.
Lastly, saving money is important. A great tattoo could cost thousands of dollars.