When it comes to ankle tattoos, we often conjure the image of a small and delicate tattoos. Ankles does not have enough space for bigger tattoos so it makes perfect sense. The area is also somewhat exposed and not many are comfortable showing big tattoos, especially women. But even the smallest of tattoos need extreme thinking. It does not mean that you can just think say yes to any design you see just because it is small.
For the ankles, delicate and minimalist tattoos would work well. There are various designs for men and women. Each one might be simple or small but they can hold bigger meanings.
The Trend of Ankle Tattoos
Ankle tattoos have long been part of the tattoo industry. Even ancient civilizations and tribes are not strangers to these. Their tattoos usually include the majority of the body so even their ankles are covered in tribal tattoos.
Today, ankle tattoos are still growing popular as ever. This could be because of the number of celebrities and well-known people with ankle tattoos. Most of these celebrities are women, opting to show off their ankle tattoos on red carpets and even everyday life. These ankle tattoos are often deemed as sexy, especially with a killer high heel.
Even day to day women choose ankle tattoos because of its popularity. It’s also easier to hide, especially if it is small.
Suffice to say, ankle tattoos are here to stay for a long time. If you want to get one, you can take your time choosing the design or perhaps making sure you really want one. By the time you’ll have one done, it will surely be still on the trendy list.
Celebrities and their Ankle Tattoos
Some people choose to get a tattoo inspired by their favorite celebrities. They usually get the same tattoos on the same exact spots. Other choose to get some sort of inspiration from them. This is perfectly fine, as long as you are exactly sure you want the tattoo.
That being said, here are some celebrities with their ankle tattoos.
- Janel Parrish – The “Pretty Little Liars” star has an anchor for her ankle tattoo. This tattoo is not just a pretty symbol for aesthetics. It also means being grounded, security, and faith.
- Dua Lipa – This gorgeous lady is not just a mean singer, she’s also got one hell of a style. She’s got a minimalist eye tattoo as her ankle tat.
- Adrianne Palicki – This young actress might be a yoga enthusiast. She has the “om” symbol on her ankles. This symbol is sacred among yogis.
- Sasha Pieterse – Another “Pretty Little Liar” star joins the list. Sasha has a minimalist cross on her ankles. Cross tattoos are often a symbol of faith.
- Heather Morris – This actress and dancer has a rather unique tattoo. She’s got a cactus ankle tattoo which can symbolize endurance.
- Ronda Rousey – Ronda stays true to her athletic side with her Olympic ring tattoo on her left ankle. She’s also has another ink on her right which says “Citius, altius, fortius” – the motto of Olympic games.
- Bella Hadid – The Victoria’s Secret model has a pair of angel wings on her right ankle. This could mean many things, especially a guardian angel. But her being an “angel” for the brand might be one, too.
- Miley Cyrus – The pop star is known for her quirkiness. It shows in her style. The singer has a weed tattoo on her left ankle to show.
Inspirational Ankle Tattoos and their Bigger Meanings
Many tattoo enthusiasts choose a certain design because of its inspirational meaning. These tattoo designs often have symbolic meanings that can help the wearer express themselves. It could also be a symbol that tells a story about them or perhaps a dedication to someone special.
Here are some inspirational ankle tattoos with a bigger meaning:
- The sun or the moon – You can get a sun and moon tattoo or perhaps just one of these. The sun is often associated with males and the moons are with females. Nonetheless, a sun is often seen as the “king” and symbolizes power, strength, warmth, and vitality. On the other hand, the moon is known as a symbol of femininity, women’s cycle, fertility, creativity, and growth.
- Floral – Floral designs can have a variety of meaning. This is based on the flower that is depicted in the tattoo. Nonetheless, general meanings often include love, passion, beauty, intelligence, and happiness.
- Cats – One of the popular ankle tattoos among women are cats. Designs vary from cartoon cats to minimalist designs. As a tattoo, these feline creatures are often used to represent wisdom, intellect, magic, and a closer connection to the divine.
- Lotus flower – Lotus flowers are known throughout Asian culture. For the longest time, these flowers are known to symbolize resilience and purity. No matter how murky the pond is, they still bloom. In Buddhism, the lotus flower, especially a blue one, is also a symbol of wisdom and intelligence.
- Trees – Tree tattoos can have a variety of meaning. However, the general symbolism of a tree tattoo are strength, protection, abundance, growth, forgiveness, salvation, and even life. Ankle tattoos often depict the trees with their roots and branches intertwined in a circle.
Delicate Ankle Tattoo Designs for Women
Women are often associated with delicate and feminine looking tattoos. The types that often reflect their soft side. Of course, anyone could get any type of ankle tattoos or any tattoo in general. But if you do want a subtle and delicate design, here are some to help you.
If you want a flower ankle tattoo, you can choose a single flower with a longer stem. For example, getting a tattoo of a poppy with a long stem creates a stunning design. You can add a few leaves or non at all. The color palette should also be lighter so the shadows are not as dark.
For animal tattoos, it could be better to follow a minimalist style. Ankle tattoos are better when smaller. However, it should not be so small since the ink has a tendency to bleed over time. It can get blurry when the time comes. So, you can either get a whole animal design with just the outline or perhaps their facial feature.
Anklet types of ankle tattoos are also rather popular. These tattoos go around the ankles just like a bracelet for your wrist would. The most popular design for this is the rosary. It would go around the ankles and the part with the cross usually ends on the feet. Others choose a vine or a floral anklet. Either way, something thinner but with “movement” looks stunning.
Quotes are also getting more popular as tattoo elements. You can get one which can be displayed around or a half of your ankle. It can be one word, a phrase, or a whole sentence. This depends on your preference. When it comes to choosing a font, you can choose a calligraphy or script font for a more delicate look.
Unique Ankle Tattoo Designs for Everyone
Some want a kind of tattoo that stands out. These designs are more personalized and could either have a deeper meaning or for pure aesthetics.
One of the best and most personal types of tattoos are name tattoos. You can put the name of a special person as your tattoo. You can also add a few other elements to make it more unique such as things you associate them with.
Surrealistic and abstract designs are also a way to create a more unique tattoo style. You can turn one element into an obscure object. You can also combine a variety of elements to create one design. If you are a creative person, you will definitely find this style more suitable for your personality. It can also help your creativity improve.
Geometric patterns and lines could also create extraordinary tattoos. You can create a design that leans more to a tribal design or perhaps a modern design.
How to Place Ankle Tattoos
There are several ways to place ankle tattoos. How you’re placing your ankle tat could depend on the design you have. When getting a tattoo, it is best to think of what’s the best position that will highlight your tattoo. It will also depend on how much you want to expose your tattoo.
- The first and usually the main way ankle tattoos are executed is around the ankle. Geometric patterns and tribal designs are perfect for an ankle band. These designs are easier to extend around the ankle without compromising how the tattoo would look like. Getting a quote tattoo that goes around the ankle like a band is also a great choice.
- Small pieces can be placed anywhere around the ankle. Tattoo enthusiasts generally place these kinds of tattoo behind the ankles or on top of the jutting bone. However, you have to take into mind how your tattoo will look. So, choose a design that won’t look deformed if you flex your feet.
- For longer designs, it is best to choose to place it on your ankle to the side edge of your foot. You can put vines, swirls, and floral designs on this area.
Preparing to Get an Ankle Tattoo
Getting a tattoo is no walk in the park. You have to thoroughly prepare, from choosing your design to getting enough rest. Here are some tips that first-timers will find helpful:
- When choosing your ankle tattoo design, remember that bigger and complicated designs will take longer to complete. Also choose the design you know will fit you.
- Choose the target location. There are several ways to do ankle tattoos so you might want to choose a design that works well with your chosen area.
- Locate a reliable tattoo shop and tattoo artist. Getting recommendations from people you know will be helpful. If you are looking online, it is best to read reviews about them.
- Get in touch with your preferred artist and talk to them about the design. You’d want to know what they think about the design you chose; whether they can do it or if it will look good. The majority of artists will tell you if they can’t proceed with a design due to several factors.
- Prepare your budget. Getting a tattoo will cost you, especially if it’s a bigger design. Nonetheless, tattoos can range from $50 to $1000. Don’t forget to get a quotation for your tattoo so you can prepare the money.
- Take good care of your body weeks before the scheduled procedure. You’d want to moisturize the area and take vitamins. Sleep and rest well. Your body needs to be in top condition when getting a tattoo. Th condition of your body and your skin can affect how the tattoo will look like and how it would heal.
- Do not take any blood thinning medications 24 hours before your schedule. It will cause you to bleed more than necessary. Your artist will usually have to stop every now and then if that happens.
- The complicated your tattoo design is, the longer it will take. Therefore, you should eat and drink water before getting your tattoo. The procedure might take longer than what you expect. You can also bring something that will entertain you such as books or portable gaming devices.
Aftercare for your Ankle Tattoos
Unlike foot tattoos, ankle tattoos are easier to maintain. But that does not mean you can just lay back and let time run its course. Of course, you have to change a few things about your lifestyle to keep your tattoo vibrant.
Tattoos can fade in time, especially when they are often exposed in the sun. While ankle tattoos are not as exposed as the foot, it is still important to wear sunscreen during and after it has healed.
Avoid soaking your feet in water. This means no tubs, pools, and beaches for a while.
Also clean your tattoo while it is healing. Use mild and fragrant-free soap, and lotion and never scrub it even with a dry, clean cloth.