Brave enough to get collar bone tattoos? If you are, you’re likely trying to find the perfect design for it. Since tattooing have been a part of human history, it is rather overwhelming to choose just one design or theme for a tattoo. Unless you are planning on using your whole body as a canvass, you’ll have a hard time narrowing down designs.
But fear not, there are specific designs that would go well with a collar bone tattoo. You can also narrow the choices down by finding a design that is meaningful, or something that speaks about you. Soon enough (or after this post), you’ll be inspired to get that tattoo that will have everyone saying WOW!
Issues with Getting Collar Bone Tattoos
- 1 Issues with Getting Collar Bone Tattoos
- 2 Most Popular Designs for Collar Bone Tattoos
- 3 Unique Collar Bone Tattoos
- 4 Subtle Colored Pieces
- 5 Inspiring Tattoo Designs
You have to be entirely sure about your decision of getting a collar bone tattoo. There are a couple of issues that you might have to face.
First off, collar bone tattoos are quite painful to get. If you have low tolerance for pain or you are not brave enough (at the moment) to have it, you might have some problems. The collar bone is pretty much just skin and bones. It’s a part of our body where the bone is most prominent, protected with a skin. If you have some extra body weight, the fat may be able lessen the pain. In case you are rather skinny, then it is not the best for a first tattoo; unless you are willing to go through the pain.
Apart from the pain, collar bone tattoos are harder to cover. Unless you are wearing a sweater, buttoned down shirt or a blouse with a pretty high neckline, there will always be an area you can’t cover. You might get into trouble if your workplace is strict about body art and piercings. It’s also safer to have a tattoo you can hide when you are still out looking for a job. While society is getting more lenient about tattoos and piercings, some are still a bit old-school and wary about tattoos’ past reputation.
If you don’t think any of these two will be a problem, then it is your choice to get a tattoo.
Most Popular Designs for Collar Bone Tattoos
Tattoos have long been a form of self-expression. Even when people begun thinking negatively of tattoos, many tattoo enthusiasts still found it as a way to express themselves. They see it as art where people see it as a sign of rebellion and thugs.
Designs from them have flourished as well. People began creating more relatable designs that each one can copy or be inspired from. Women has also evolved their style and began accessorizing with tattoos. Their designs were often delicate and simpler than men’s, but were also way more sensual and sexier.
Here are some of the most popular collar bone tattoo designs for women that have emerged:
- Quote tattoos
- Feather tattoos
- Flower tattoos
- Birds plus quotes and/or quotes
- Roman numeral tattoos
1. Quote collar bone tattoos
Quotes have become one of the most popular tattoo designs nowadays, especially for women. You can’t go wrong with a good quote. It helps you with your everyday life (through mantras or inspiring quotes). It can also tell something about yourself (like which TV show, movie, or book your are a fan of). Most importantly, it s a pretty versatile design. You can add some other elements that is closely relevant to the quote.
For example, a Bible verse could be accompanied by adding it to a scroll. Or perhaps a book or movie quote can be accompanied by an element famous in the said book or movie.
Apart from its versatility in design, it can also be placed wherever you feel like it. As a tattoo, a quote could accent the collar bones. To make it look more delicate, you can choose a soft script font. You can also make it look bigger or smaller, depending on the length of your quote.
People usually choose inspirational quote tattoos. These help them get through the hardest challenges in their lives. Mantras such as “Always keep fighting.” or “Believe in yourself” are definitely great for those who are suffering from anxiety.
2. Feather tattoos
Feather tattoos have also been gaining popularity. It is equal parts aesthetic and meanings that women choose this designs. It can be a minimalist design or you can make it more intricate.
Feathers have a variety of meaning. They are often based on what bird the feather was from. Peacock feathers are often used to represent beauty and pride. Dove feathers are for love and passion. Owls’ are for intellect and foresight.
Angel wing feathers are also used more often. These can be a dedication to a loved one you have lost, or a connection to them. It can also represent a Christian’s faith and closeness to God. Or, it can be used to represent freedom.
This is a great design to place under the collar bone. You can make it look 3D or perhaps go for a minimalist approach. You can even add a quote if you’re feeling a little more fancy.
3. Flower tattoos
If there is one element in the tattoo world that is almost always associated with women, its flowers. Flowers are delicate and beautiful, but each one is unique. As a tattoo design, it perfectly captures femininity and vibrancy; everything that can describe a lady.
Floral collar bone tattoos are probably the next big thing aside from quote tattoos. Most of the time though, collar bone tattoo designs are more delicate than designs for other places of the body. This may be because the area is quite exposed and many do not want to gather as much attention as possible.
To make a delicate floral collar bone tattoo, choose a color palette that is light. You can choose pastel shades of pinks, oranges, and yellows. For more artistic approach, try the watercolor styling. It’s also best to choose a design that isn’t complicated. Say, a long stalk of a rose or small flowers.
Some designs also include swirls and vines. Anyhow, the design should be based on the wearer’s preference.
4. Birds plus quotes and/or other elements
Birds – may it be small hummingbirds, minimalist styles, or silhouettes of birds flying – are the rage now in modern tattoo industry. Birds are beautiful and they are quite easy to do and work with. Apart from that, they mean freedom.
Collar bone tattoos are no exception when it comes to bird designs. However, apart from the usual flying birds, a hummingbird or another small bird is often the star. Designs also include either a quote or another element.
For music lovers, a bird made with notes and musical symbols are common. Or perhaps notes surround the birds, if not coming out of their mouth. It’s as if the birds are actually singing. For those looking for inspiration for their day to day lives, they choose quotes.
Some people add a plethora of different elements. There are those who add flowers while some add geometrical patterns.
5. Roman Numeral tattoos
Numbers, just like quotes, tend to get pretty simple. Roman numerals are the best choice if you want to ink a special date or number on your body. Usually, people choose the Roman numerals to put birthdays of the special people in their lives. They also use it for anniversaries and wedding dates. On rare occasions, they also put death anniversaries of the people they love.
Roman numerals are elegant. Instead of the Arabic numbers we use daily, Roman numerals are written in alphabets. Different alphabets have a specific number added to them. However, using this system can be confusing especially when you haven’t used it in a long time. That is why you might want to re-learn your Roman numerals again before making your design.
Unique Collar Bone Tattoos
Apart from these popular collar bone tattoos, there are a few more that can inspire your next ink. Here they are:
- Heartbeat tattoos – Hearts, on their own, can be great designs if you want to showcase love and passion. But for a collar bone tattoo, a heart beat design would work better to best accentuate the area. This is usually a single-needle work so it looks delicate and beautiful, just like life. You can start the design with a heart followed by the beat and then add something by the end; usually a name.
- Ellipses – The ellipses is more than just a bunch of dots. This design may be so simple but has a deeper meaning. It denotes the passing of time or continuation of the world no matter what.
- What you love – Your hobbies can tell a lot of things about you. And what better way to express yourself than through tattoos? You can get a design of things that symbolize your hobby. For example, bookworms would love books, writers would love pens and typewriters, athletes would love sports equipment, etc. You can even add a quote if you want.
- White tattoo – White tattoos are also getting common, especially for women. Since these designs are made from white ink, the outcome is so much more invisible than common designs.
- Musical – You can choose from various options such as musical notes or musical instruments. Either way, you can show your love for music through simple collar bone tattoos.
- Minimalist designs – Since minimalist designs are much simpler, they can work on the collar bone. You can choose from various other designs such as your pets, wild animals, or other obscure objects you may find fascinating.
Subtle Colored Pieces
There are bigger collar bone tattoo designs out there, but most of them have subtle colors to lessen the intensity. Again, the collar bone is quite an exposed area so if you are not ready to commit to bigger, bolder designs, you can stick with subtly designed or colored pieces.
For those who want colored collar bone tattoos, the watercolor style is definitely a great choice. It incorporates pastel and toned down shades, exactly how colors appear in watercolor paintings. Apart from the color, the way which it’s done is also softer, as if the tattoo was a true watercolor piece on paper. This requires different techniques so you might want to find a tattoo artist who had prior experience with that.
Using lighter or pastel shades would also work. Unlike watercolor shades, pastel shades are often deeper. Still, they are much lighter on the eyes. This would work well if you choose floral designs.
Inspiring Tattoo Designs
There are hundreds of options for the most inspiring tattoo designs. Here are some of them that you can turn into amazing collar bone tattoos:
- Anchor – The anchor is a staple in any vessel. But it has also become a household name in the tattoo industry. This means stability, protection, safety, and faith.
- Cross – The cross is an important symbol in the Christian world. It may be the oldest symbol of all. As a tattoo, it means faith and sacrifice.
- Semicolon – A semicolon is used when you can end a sentence but chose not to. With that meaning, it became a symbol and beacon of hope for people dealing with mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. It’s also a way to raise awareness against suicide.
- Puzzle piece – Apart from the semicolon, the puzzle piece with a heart in it has also become a symbol for autism. People who have it are either suffering from a type of autism or knows someone dear who does.
- Ribbon – Ribbons have been used to symbolize various awareness programs for health conditions, especially cancer. These ribbons have colors which are used to denote which condition is being specified. For example, the pink ribbon is for breast cancer.
- Trees – Tress are everywhere around us. Apart from being an important part of the world, trees also denote stability, strength, and being able to stand up despite of challenges.
- Infinity sign – An infinity sign obviously symbolizes eternity, infinity and balance. This is often used by couples to signify their relationships.