Our names are our identity. Apart from our own unique characteristics and personalities, our names makes us who we are. Our names are very important so it easy to think that name tattoos are becoming popular. Immortalizing our names or the names of people close to us through body art has always been a huge part of the tattoo industry. It is in fact one of the most sought after designs.
Name Tattoos and What they Mean
- 1 Name Tattoos and What they Mean
- 2 Couples and Name Tattoos
- 3 Inking your Family’s Names
- 4 Common Name Tattoo Designs
- 5 Interesting Name Tattoo Designs for You
- 6 The Font Matters
- 7 Common Girl Names and Their Meanings
- 8 Common Boys Name and Their Meanings
- 9 Before Getting Name Tattoos
- 10 After the Procedure
Names, as tattoos, usually just have one specific meaning: to honor that person. If you decide to put your name, it could mean that you are proud of who you are. If it’s the name of a different person, it’s a simple way of dedicating yourself to them. Permanent tattoos stay for life, so it’s a whole lot like committing yourselves to them forever.
Of course, various names have different meanings. Some people choose the name of their children based on what the names mean. You can also have name tattoos depending on what the name means. But of course, it is so much better if it is the name of a special someone.
Couples and Name Tattoos
Couples often get matching tattoos. These tattoos can take their relationships to the next level as tattoos are permanent and these often mark their partnerships.
While many choose various themes and subjects for their matching couple tattoos, many other couples choose to ink the names of their significant others. This is pretty much the ultimate way of marking your relationship. Not to jinx every relationship but not every couples have happy endings. Getting the name of your special someone tatted on you, only to breakup later would be regretful.
That is why if you do this, you and your partner should make sure that you are as committed to each other as you are with your inks.
Inking your Family’s Names
Among the millions of tattoo enthusiasts, those who get name tattoos usually get the names of their family’s immortalized through body art. They get the names of their parents and their children tatted. For them, it’s a way of keeping their families with them wherever they are.
The designs could vary depending on what you feel is the best design. Out of all the tattoo designs, names are perhaps one of the most versatile. You can add various elements. You can change the fonts to make it look more beautiful and unique.
Common Name Tattoo Designs
As previously mentioned, names can be extremely versatile tattoos. Here are some of the most interesting designs that can inspire your next ink:
- Hearts – Recreate a heart shape through your name. You can do this by making the first letter of your name into a curve and the last letter in another curve. Others recreate the shape with two names or more. This is especially great for couples and for families. Hearts mean love and passion so this design can dedicate your love for that person.
- Infinity sign – Infinity signs have gained popularity these past few years. You can put the names of your loved ones in the shape of an infinity sign. If it is just one name, you can add it on one side of the sign. Infinity symbols often represent eternity, perfection, and balance.
- Family tree – This is the best design for families. The names are placed on the branches. Just like a normal family tree, you can put the names of your whole family based on their order of birth.
- Feather – Others put their names on feathers. It could be on the feathers or the stem on the center.
- Toy Story – This is best for people named Andy. If you have watched the “Toy Story” franchise, the toys’ owner, Andy, writes his name on the bottom of the foot of his toys. If you love the story and the name is the same, this could be a great design for you.
- Mistakes – While some people cover up the names of their exes tattooed on them, some have an interesting idea. Instead of covering it with another tattoo, they just streak it with a line and add the name of a new lover underneath. It sure is one interesting idea.
- Lifeline – For those in the medical field or perhaps know someone who is, they can put their name on the center of a lifeline symbol.
Interesting Name Tattoo Designs for You
Some designs are very common but some designs speak more about the wearer. They usually create more unique and interesting designs that makes their design different. Here are some of the most unique and interesting name tattoos that can inspire your next ink:
Makeup lovers – For makeup lovers, a lipstick design is perfect. It is a perfect shoulder tattoo design where the name is written with a red lipstick.
Book titles – If you are a book lover, you can create a book title tattoo design. You can have stacks of colorful books and instead of the titles, it would be the name of your children. Adding a quote from your favorite book makes it complete; but of course, it is optional. You can also put the names of your loved ones on the pages itself.
Crayons – If you’re a parent, putting your children’s name on your body as a tattoo is a simple way of showing your love for them. Spelling their name with a crayon is perfect if you see their love for art. It’s also a playful design that they’d definitely love.
Minimalist elephant – Another unique design we’ve seen is a minimalist elephant design with the line work created with names. This is a perfect design for mothers as elephants are known for being family-oriented. It’s a sign of motherhood so it makes perfect sense to put the names of your children.
Blocks – Blocks are among the most common toys for children so it’s another common design if you’re getting your child’s name inked. It can be colorful and your children would surely love it. You can also combine it with various colors and shapes.
The Font Matters
One thing you should note when getting name tattoos is its legibility. That is why the font is an essential choice. You need to choose a font that makes the name easier to read or else you’d likely regret your tattoo if it’s unreadable or it reads differently.
Common font designs for both men and women are script and calligraphy fonts. It’s pretty easy to mess up this design so you should really double check your design before it starts.
You can find some good fonts online that best suit your interest. However, when choosing a font, you’d want to try and make it suitable for the person. For example, you are getting your name tatted, it’s best to make the font suit your personality. For kids, a fun font would be good.
Nonetheless, the font and the design is ultimately based on your preferences.
Common Girl Names and Their Meanings
It is normal to choose a name before your child comes out. But some people choose to have their name tattoos first even before their children come out (of course, getting a tattoo while pregnant is an absolute NO NO, so this usually applies to the fathers).
If you are thinking of the name of your kid, here are some common names and what they mean. This can help you if you want to have your kid’s name tatted on your before their arrival. Here are some girl names and their meanings:
- Sophia – In Greek, this name means wisdom
- Emma – This originated in Germany and means universal
- Olivia – This might have been derived from the olive tree; a symbol for peace, beauty, and dignity
- Emily – This name could either mean rival or eager
- Madison – While Madison has become a common girl name, it was originally a name for boys as well. This name literally means “son of the might warrior”. However, it was also a form of German name Matilda which means “mighty in battle.”
- Chloe – This originated in Greece which literally means “green shoot” or “fresh blooming.”
- Abby – This name means “my father’s delight” so it’s a great name for father’s girls.
- Nadine – This girl’s name means “filled with hope” and would be a perfect name for any baby girl.
- Regine – This name is perfect for every parent’s queen as this name translates to that.
- Eileen – The name means “torch of light”
Common Boys Name and Their Meanings
Here are also some of the most common boys’ names and what they mean:
- Noah – This is probably one of the most common names around the world. It has Hebrew origin and means peaceful.
- Liam – This boy’s name originated in Ireland and it means “strong-willed warrior”
- James – Another common name used for boys is James and this means “supplanter”
- Benjamin – Benjamin is a Hebrew name that literally translates to “son of my right hand”
- Alexander – This name has Greek origins and means “defender of the mankind.” It’s also been the name of one of the greatest leaders.
- Aiden – This may not be one of the most popular but more parents name their children Aiden. This has Irish origin and means fiery.
- Lucas – This name is especially popular among German and Irish people and means “bringer of light.”
- Jayden – This might be a non-traditional name but it has a wonderful meaning as it means thankful.
- Samuel – This is a Hebrew name that means “God has heard”
- Dylan – This a mythical Welsh name which means “son of the wave”
Before Getting Name Tattoos
Name tattoos could be a more meaningful tattoo than any other element. That is why you should take your time with the design and make sure you are choosing the right fonts and elements. However, there are other things you should do before getting a name tattoo.
First off, find a good tattoo artist and parlor. While most of them will likely find these types of tattoo easy, you have to make sure they can do your preferred design. That is why you should have your design ready when you are looking for your artist. It’s also good to know the price for such design.
Apart from knowing how much the design costs, you also have to ensure your safety. They should have a safe and healthy environment. That means their place is clean and they are using clean equipment.
Another thing you should do is to rest before the day you’re getting a tattoo. Your body needs to be in top condition so that your body can easily heal.
Last but not the least, save money. Tattoos can cost $50 to $1000 depending on your design and the size.
After the Procedure
Aftercare is as important as the initial phases. After getting a tattoo, you’d go home with a bandage covering your new ink. It is essential to leave it on for at least 2 to 4 hours.
The ink is still settling in on your skin so there would still be excess ink. It could stain your clothes or your bedding. That is why you should also change your bedding every night if possible.
Your tattoo is also healing and the wound is still fresh after a few days. Keep it clean with a soap that is free from alcohol and fragrance. It should be mild and you should only clean it with your fingers only. You can also just air dry it or dab the tattoo with a clean and dry paper cloth.
However, the most important thing is to leave the flakes. Days or weeks after, your tattoo will become dry and will have scabs. Peeling them could leave scarring and it won’t be the best thing.
Also, you should stay away from the sun for a while, especially if the placement is quite exposed. In fact, even after years of having the tattoo, you’d want to keep using sunblock. The sun could quickly fade your tattoo so to make it last longer, protect it from mister sun.