There is a reason classic tattoos are that, classic. They are part of the mainstream tattoo industry for the reason that they are both for aesthetics and symbolism. Among these classic tattoos is the sun and moon tattoo which can be a perfect ink for any enthusiast.
The sun and moon tattoo is a great symbol for living with the good and bad things in life without bias. That is why it is also known as the yin and yang of the heavenly bodies.
Sun and its Symbolic Meaning
- 1 Sun and its Symbolic Meaning
- 2 Moon and its Symbolic Meaning
- 3 Sun and Moon Tattoo Meaning
- 4 Common Designs and Styles for Women
- 5 Common Designs and Styles for Men
- 6 Variations of Sun and Moon Tattoo Designs
- 7 More Sun and Moon Tattoo Variations
- 8 Matching Couple Tattoos
- 9 Finding a Good Artist
- 10 Summary
The sun is known in various cultures and religions in the world. Usually, it is a symbol of the gods. This connection is most notable in ancient Egyptian culture. The sun is connected to the sun god Ra, often known as the king of Egyptian deities.
Even in Christianity, the sun is also connected to God and Jesus Christ. It is often the symbol of heaven and also known as the halo.
But apart from being connected to gods and deities, the sun has long been known as the symbol of masculinity. It is known to represent strength and power. As a tattoo, it could represent that side of the wearer.
Moon and its Symbolic Meaning
Just like the sun, the moon is also connected to various deities. The most notable is the Greek goddess of the hunt, Artemis. As she is the twin sister of the sun god Apollo, the moon has become Artemis’ symbol.
As it is known as the opposite side of the sun, the moon is known to symbolize femininity. It represents calmness and fertility.
However, some cultures in the world also believe that the moon has some celestial powers that can contribute to magic. The moon is a sign of mysticism and this is one word that often describe magic. Those who practice magic such as witchcraft also often look at the moon as a source of power.
Sun and Moon Tattoo Meaning
As previously mentioned, the sun and moon tattoo is often known as the yin and yang of celestial bodies. As a tattoo, this design could represent being able to accept the good things and bad things in life without bias. Wearers often let the these opposite sides coexist within them and continue to shine as a person.
Apart from that, the sun and moon tattoo can also represent both masculine and feminine sides. It does not necessarily have to be linked to the gender orientation of the wearer. Instead, it could mean that the wearer accepts the quality that is present on both masculine and feminine sides.
For example, someone who has inner strength and power could also be calm and creative.
Common Designs and Styles for Women
While both men and women can get any style and design they want, some designs are best suited for the majority of female tattoo enthusiasts. Oftentimes, these designs are more subtle and delicate. That being said, here are some common designs and styles that many women find attractive.
Cartoons style – We all know that cartoons are often cutesy and childish. It is perfect for women since it is able to showcase their fragility and charming personality. The most common design often shows both the sun and moon having cartoonish faces.
Watercolor style – This technique has been gaining popularity, especially for women. This style makes use of colors, especially toned down and pastel colors to add the tattoo’s aesthetic value. Usually, designs include the colors, often mixed, as somewhat like the color you get from watercolor. It’s very light, with the shade usually darker to light. Design could either be a background, seemingly of watercolor dropping onto paper. Or perhaps, it could look like the tattoo line work has been colored with a watercolor brush.
Minimalist style – While this is popular for both men and women, minimalist styles can cater to women who want extremely subtle inks. The design is usually just the line work, without any shading and decors. It is also the perfect style for first timers. The design could either be big or small.
Common Designs and Styles for Men
Some men prefer subtle designs while others go for more complicated designs. For those who like the latter, here are two of the most common designs perfect for men.
3D designs – 3D designs are really designs for both men and women. But this is the perfect design for men who want bad-ass designs. This could make tattoos look “alive” or something that is real and just plastered on your skin. You need a good artist to get this kind of tattoos as it can be one of the toughest techniques that involves highlighting and shadowing.
Tribal – Tribal designs have been a part of tattoo industry since ancient times. In fact, tribal tattoos might have created the trend until it became mainstream. There is no wonder there are sun and moon tribal tattoos that you can get. Usually, designs are monotone, meaning it only consists of gray and black ink. There are also geometric patterns, swirls, and dots.
Variations of Sun and Moon Tattoo Designs
If you are searching for some specific designs, here are some of the most common variations you will see. You can definitely copy the designs or maybe get some inspiration for your next ink.
Phases of solar eclipse – While the eclipse is an entirely different tattoo on its own, it is also under the category of sun and moon tattoos. This design shows the complete phases of the solar eclipse: from the moment the moon blocks the sun until it slowly fades into the edge. This is a perfect tattoo design for the forearm or for spine tattoos.
Sun and moon “embracing” – This kind of design is a perfect design for cartoon styles. It usually shows the sun with the moon close to it, forming a part of the sun. The design looks like the sun is embracing the moon.
Floral sun and moon – Flowers are pretty common elements in the tattoo industry. These are perfect for both men and women given its inspirational meaning. Nonetheless, some designs are a combination of two or more elements. For this design, you are going to take flowers and the sun and moon into one (or two) tattoos. You only need to form the flowers into the shape of the sun. The sunflower often represent the sun while a cluster of flowers form the moon.
Mandala – Mandalas are popular design, especially for women. It’s a Hindu symbol for wholeness and perfection and often incorporates geometric designs. For this design, you can make a mandala sign with some flares for its rays. You can then create a half mandala on a crescent moon.
Decorated sun and moon tattoo – If you like some girly tattoos, some sun and moon ink design are rather simple, with a sun and a crescent moon with a boho-ish dangling designs. It’s almost like the celestial bodies are adorn with decorative headdresses and necklaces.
More Sun and Moon Tattoo Variations
Some designs are popular while some are rather interesting. Here are some of the most interesting tattoo designs that will definitely tickle your imagination.
- Dotted sun and moon – This can be under the minimalist style as it does not really require too much decoration. In fact, this kind of tattoo is so amazing you won’t need any other elements or designs. Basically the whole tattoo is made out of tiny dots to form the shape.
- One sky – We know that the sun and moon are in just in one sky. But of course, they usually exist on different times. But you can put them together in one sky with your tattoo. You can create a background of the sky, be it day and night or even both on one small tattoo.
- Sun and moon as persons – For some cultures, the sun and the moon are two persons, often husband and wife separated in the sky. You can recreate and reunite these mythical creatures through a sun and moon tattoo. The sun is often the male, with a long hair that makes up the flares. The moon is the woman.
- Quoted – Another thing you can do for a unique tattoo is to put a quote. It could be connected to the sun and moon or perhaps something you often tell yourself. It can be your own words that you want to immortalize. Just accompany the quote with any tattoo design you want.
Matching Couple Tattoos
Of course, couple tattoos are no exception when you think about the sun and the moon. Since these heavenly bodies signify men and women, it is a perfect tattoo for couples. It can also represent their differences and how despite having those, they still accept each other.
A minimalist sun and moon tattoo is a popular design among couples. The women have the moon tatted on their wrist while the men have the sun. Designs could either be as simple as a mere line work or perhaps decorated with some dots.
Some couples prefer a more colorful design. They can choose a blue ombre moon as well as an orange ombre sun. Again, this can be simple. The colors can serve as the design.
The mandala design is another popular couple tattoo. Mandala represents balance and eternity so it is indeed a great relationship tattoo. It also looks unique and beautiful with all the geometric designs.
Couples can also get an identical tattoo. They can choose a specific designs, usually with both the sun and moon it. Each one can get both of these tattoos on the same places. Placements include the wrist, arms, forearms, back and fingers.
Finding a Good Artist
Every step of getting a tattoo is important. If you fail in one step, you would basically be carrying a tattoo you would likely regret as soon as you had it. To avoid this, you need careful research and make decisions.
Finding the perfect tattoo artist is an essential step. They are the ones that will put the tattoo on you. They have to be professionals so you can guarantee your safety and the results of your ink. That is why you have to be thorough in your search.
Here are some of the factors that you have to consider:
- Style – Some artists are great at traditional tattoos. Others work well with minimalist styles. Some are highly efficient in 3D techniques. When it comes to finding a good tattoo artist, you have to make sure they know the style you want. There are artists who can do all of the styles but they are likely to be better at certain ones. Don’t hesitate to ask to look at their portfolio. This gives you a sense of their style. From there, choose the artists you’ll consider.
- Safety – Your safety should be a priority. Getting a tattoo is relatively safe, but it can be dangerous if your artist does not know what they are doing. They might have been using used needles or toxic ink with or without their knowing. This could endanger you and your health. Ask them about your safety and how they will make sure you are safe from harm.
- Cleanliness – Apart from knowing the right procedures and using the right tools, your artist should also observe cleanliness. You can get infections if you get a tattoo in unsanitary places. What more with tools that haven’t been cleaned. They should always have a sanitizing equipment at hand to avoid problems.
Sun and moon tattoo designs are for men and women who believe in getting a tattoo for both aesthetic and meaning. There are many wonderful designs out there but what makes these designs worthy of getting is the meaning behind it.
As a tattoo, the sun and moon design is a symbol of living with the opposite sides of yourselves. You accept who you are and you have no biases between your two sides.
It is easy to find a design you want as mostly, the design will come from deep inside you. You’ll know the design for you when you see it. Nonetheless, finding the right person to do it for you is an even more important ordeal for the best results.