Tattoo quotes and tattoos about sayings are pretty popular these days. These are often the go-to design for those who can’t decide on a specific design. It is also used as a way to speak up about matters that are important, especially for the society. For some, it is the best way to represent their goals and how they look at life.
What makes tattoo quotes so special is that there is never-ending potential for designs. While others choose a simple quote, others tend to create unique designs. They add more elements appropriate for the quote to make it look more aesthetically pleasing.
Many tattoo enthusiasts have taken interest in these types of tattoo. For young people mostly, they wanted to make a statement. For older people, they wanted to find deeper meaning behind these quotes. This is also a tattoo that anyone could have. It does not matter whether you are an introvert or an extrovert, you can find a suitable tattoo for you. Unlike other designs that are more symbolic and would fit certain types of people only, based on their personalities.
Popular Bible Quotes for your Tattoos
Of course, there are the popular quotes and sayings that are often used for tattoo quotes. These are usually from famous books, people and movies. Christian tattoo enthusiasts often go with passages from the Bible. Others tend to get proverbs that speak more to them.
While most of these sayings are more of a mantra or motto for many, some choose quotes to dedicate to their loved one. Most popular of these types are quotes taken from the Bible in memory of a lost family member or friend. They also tend to put the name of that special person along with the tattoo.
Here are some of the most common Bible quotes:
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
- “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.” – Romans 8:18
- “He heard my prayers and brought me out of the pit of misery, He set my feet upon a rock and directed my steps.” – Psalm 40:2
- “She is clothed in strength and dignity and she laughs without fear of the future.” – Proverbs 31:25
- “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” – John 3:16
- “A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” – Ecclesiastes 4:12
- “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” – 1 Peter 4:8
- “You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you.” – Song of Solomon 4:7
- ” I will fear no evil, for you are with me.” – Psalm 23:4
- “”Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Designs for these tattoo quotes vary. Even the context can change from one person to another. While others choose to ink whole verses and sentences, others choose their favorite lines or phrases only. However, the most common style is to just get the book, chapter and verses inked. For example, people usually just use “1 Corinthians 13:4-8” for their tattoo design.
Famous Quotes and Sayings
Famous quotes by famous people, movie and book lines, and old proverbs and sayings are also very popular choices for tattoo quotes. Most of the time, people get their motto or mantra tattooed.
Here are some of the most popular famous quotes and sayings:
- “All is fair in Love and War.” This is one of the most famous lines that may have been derived from Don Quixote. There is still debate as to whether people agree to this line or not as well as its meaning. However, a popular translation is often about how love is a lot like war; anything is acceptable or fair.
- “We accept the love we think we deserve.” The line comes from the famous young-adult book (which turned to a movie) Perks of Being a Wallflower.
- “We’re all mad here.” This famous line comes from Alice in Wonderland. It’s a classic story that has been adapted to movies and games. It could mean that every one of us has our own craziness inside. It’s up to us whether we would embrace or fear it.
- “Always.” This one liner would be pretty familiar for all Harry Potter fans. The J.K. Rowling books, which eventually turned to a successful franchise, has various unforgettable quotes. However, this one by a character named Snape has triggered a lot of hearts as it talks about unending love in just one word.
- “But without the dark we’d never see the stars.” The line talks about seeing the good in bad times. This inspiring quote is perfect for optimists and those who believe that something good can come out of the darkest times.
- “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.” This may have meant Muhammad Ali’s fighting style, but it is very inspirational if we put it in real life situations. It can mean that we should be graceful in life and be kind to others. But when the time comes, we should know how to fight back, especially if we are on the right.
- “Inhale love. Exhale hate.” This is a good mantra to keep your life positive and stress free. Getting rid of all the hate is important. It not only helps you feel and give more love, it also keeps your mind, body, and soul healthy.
- “Have faith.” It may be simple but it could mean so much for people who are struggling. Sometimes we forget in our religion and our God. Most of all, we forget about ourselves. Having faith that we can go through a difficult time can give us strength to carry on.
- “This too shall pass.” This is one of the best tattoo quotes for those who are going through tough times and dealing with mental health issues such as depression. It basically means that tough times will pass just like the others. You can come out of it, stronger than before.
- “Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic.” This is especially true for readers and writers. Words often have the magic to transform us and bring us to different places. It is no wonder we consider them as “magic.”
There are many different sayings and lines that is perfect for tattoo quotes. Again, it could come from your favorite movie or book or even a song lyrics. The important thing is it translates to your every day life.
Tattoo Quote Design Ideas
It is not really hard to make a design for tattoo quotes. You usually just have to find the meaning of the quote if needed and then translate that to symbols or imagery. You can definitely learn about tattoo symbolism on the internet. So, for example your tattoo means freedom; you can definitely have a bunch of flying birds that symbolize freedom.
Symbols like feathers, arrows, birds, and anchors are pretty common for these. Those are small and does not override the quote, making it a good decor.
However, you don’t really have to design your tattoo quote. In fact, you can just have the quote tatted and that’s it. All you really have to do is think of the phrasing as that could help with the aesthetics. Will you have it in a single line? Double? Or make it look like a verse of a poem?
The font of the quote also makes it easier to increase its aesthetic value. While some love typewriter-esque fonts, others go for elegant scripts. Calligraphy fonts are also getting more popular these days.
Although quotes have a different structure than most tattoo designs, there are still many places where you can have it.
As always, base it on how your design looks; if there are decorations involve, how long and the likes. Then you can start considering possible placements.
Many people often choose their forearms. This is a good place as it has the length for longer quotes. It also has enough space for decorations and symbols. It’s also visible for people who like showing off their tattoos. But it’s an easy spot to hide with long sleeves.
Another popular option is the side of the hand down to the side of the wrist. You can also extend it to the side of your forearm, depending on the length of the quote. However, many choose this place for shorter and smaller quotes. Phrases and single words work best.
The shoulders are also very typical placement for tattoo quotes. Mean often have tattoos that goes from the one side to the other. These also typically have larger fonts and bold designs. Women also get tattoos from one side to the other, but the fonts are rather delicate. Others just have it start on their shoulder blades and extending to their shoulders.
The inner elbow is also a good place for shorter quotes. This is a great place for Bible quotes as you can simply put “Psalm 23:4” on it. It also gives your tattoo a sense of delicateness.
The chest and the back are great places for verses and poem-like quotes. These places has wider space, making decoration and designing possible. These quotes also tend to be bigger tattoos and many choose to casually hide it. Since the chest and back are covered by clothes, these are great options.
The foot, especially the sides, is also getting popularity for tattoo quotes placement. Women usually choose this spot as it is great for delicate fonts and long quotes. It’s also possible to show these off with sandals, heels, and flip flops.
Once you get a tattoo, it is highly like that you won’t be able to get rid of it. While other opt for tattoo removal, this causes great scarring. Others choose to have it covered up with a different tattoo.
But why would they choose to have it covered up?
Well, it can be because the tattoo is old and fading. It can be because they no longer find it good to look at. Or that there are errors. This is especially true for tattoo quotes. Words can be misspelled and it has happened a lot. It can be super embarrassing to have a wrong tattoo.
So before starting with getting the tattoo, be careful. Always double check to see for any errors in the spelling or the line itself. It is better safe than sorry. And getting a cover up tattoo is not the cheapest thing in the world.
Before Getting a Tattoo
Before getting a tattoo, come up with the design. You can definitely think of your own quote or have a famous saying tatted on you. Again, the design could be simple or you can add decorations. After having the design figured out, you should find a reliable tattoo artist to work with.
Just as you are careful with the design, be careful with choosing an artist. You have to make sure they are in a clean and safe environment and that they use clean equipment. The needles should be clean and unused.
It is best to prepare for the procedure physically and mentally. Your body will undergo pain and discomfort so be prepared for the stinging pain and uncomfortable minutes (or even hours). Your body needs to be in great shape for it to the heal the wounds so get plenty of sleep. Eat before you go to the shop and drink water. Of course, you can always call for a short break.
Lastly, never forget to bring your money. The cost depends on the design but getting a tattoo is not cheap. You have to prepare at least $50 to $100 for a single small tattoo. Larger ones can cost up to a thousand.