Do you want a unique tattoo? There is nothing more unique than a personalized design you have made. However, gaining popularity in the tattoo industry nowadays are white tattoos. These are created with white ink – and designs can be as extensive as those drawn with black and colorful inks.
White tattoos are said to be perfect for pale skin, but it can also be the best ink for any skin color. This has the tendency to become “invisible” with pale skin. However, it would look extremely beautiful on dark skin with the contrast of colors.
Brief History of White Tattoos
- 1 Brief History of White Tattoos
- 2 Issues with White Ink Tattoos
- 3 UV Black-light White Tattoos and Designs
- 4 What to Know Before Getting a UV Tattoo
- 5 What Does a White Tattoo Look Like?
- 6 Designs for White Tattoos and What They Mean
- 7 Feminine Tattoo Designs for Women
- 8 Minimalist Designs for Men
- 9 Aftercare
White ink has long been a part of tattooing. There is actually the notion that getting inked with the white ink is painful. However, this is due to the fact that the ink is usually inked last. During this time, the body’s endorphins are depleted. Endorphins are the hormones that help you cope with pain. So, since these are nearly depleted in your system, your body will feel more pain.
Before white tattoos, white ink were usually used for highlighting and for creating various details. However, tattoo artists began using white ink to create the designs. They usually don’t use any colors or if they do, they opt for silvers and lighter shades to complement the white color.
White tattoos are pretty much more of a modern tattoo. That is why it is getting more popular these days.
Issues with White Ink Tattoos
There are certain issues with white tattoos. While it is gaining extreme popularity these days, not all artists will allow you to get one. Some tattoo artists will actually advise you not to get one. The main issue with white tattoos is that they turn yellow or brown overtime. Covering it with another layer of white ink is not an option. These tattoos also happen to fade more quickly than black tattoos.
Scarring is also a side-effect of getting a white ink. This is basically because white ink is harder to see in fairer skin. The artist has to repeatedly work on the area. If you ever wanted to get a white tattoo, you’d have to find a tattoo artist whose expertise includes it and see their portfolio.
Some people also have some sort of reaction with white ink. It could cause swelling and itchiness. It is important to check whether you have some allergic reaction to white ink.
UV Black-light White Tattoos and Designs
Apart from the normal white tattoo, you can also get the UV black-light white tattoo. There are other colors available but white is advertised as “virtually invisible”. This is often used for various designs where it can add some details to an existing design when under a black-light. Others create a design that entirely uses this kind of ink.
There are many designs that incorporate this white UV black-light ink. Here are some designs that can inspire your next ink:
- Moon and Stars – Designs often include a tattoo of a crescent moon in black ink and the stars in white UV back light ink. When the tattoo is under UV light, it shows twinkling white stars surrounding the main tattoo.
- Skeleton – Others have tattoos of their skeleton or skeletal system either on their hands or their back or chest. It won’t normally be that visible under normal light. But the tattoo shows under black light.
- Fireworks – Others use various colors to create a firework display. However, some add white UV black light ink that helps make their design stand out in a special light.
- Angel wings – Getting angel wings on both sides of the back is another popular design. Nonetheless, this design is quite harder to do given that it is a bigger design.
- Harry Potter designs – Some choose designs inspired by the infamous Harry Potter franchise. They are usually die-hard fans of the movies and the books. Popular designs include spells such as “Lumos” (which helps create a light), the Deathly Hallows logo, and even the Dark Mark.
- 100 Most Incredible and Eye-Catching Tiger Tattoo Designs
- 131 Your Koi Fish Tattoo And What It Tells About You
- 78 Significant and Meaningful Armband Tattoo Designs
What to Know Before Getting a UV Tattoo
There are a few things you have to know before you acquire a UV tattoo. These are rather important as you need to be entirely sure of the tattoo you are going to get. Here are a few things you should consider:
- Some tattoo ink will claim to be FDA approved. However, this is false. No tattoo ink is actually FDA approved but most that are used has been around for a long time. Nonetheless, UV tattoos have been discovered recently so there are no known long-term effects.
- It is trickier to get a UV tattoo. Tattoo artists will likely need a black light to see how the tattoo picks up. They might also need to work on the area a couple or more times.
- There is a high chance of your tattoo not working one day. Too much exposure of a tattoo to black light can lose its effect. It’s a lot like the glow in the dark stickers you have at home.
- You need to have a small test to see whether you have reactions to the inks that will be used. Have your tattoo artist make a small dot on a spot and wait until a week. If there is any sort of reaction, you might want to re-consider getting a tattoo with that ink.
- The scarring will be more visible than the actual ink. UV ink is practically invisible so it won’t be able to cover the scars unlike darker colors.
What Does a White Tattoo Look Like?
So, how does a white tattoo look like? Both the normal and UV white tattoos pretty much look like weird scars. This is because they do not have some solid outline or with any other colors indicating the design. If you have fairer skin, it could be more difficult to see the design.
However, if you have darker skin, the color tends to show off more. This would look stunning, as with black designs but more delicate and unique.
This might be something you want to consider when getting a white tattoo. It’s perfect when you want to hide it from school or maybe your workplace. But it might come off different especially to people who didn’t know you got a tattoo.
Designs for White Tattoos and What They Mean
You can create just as many designs you want with using white ink as well as black. However, white tattoos are often smaller and more subtle.
Most people go for designs that speaks to them. They create inspiring designs with deeper meanings that could either tell a bit about them or their story. These tattoos tend to be minimalist and small given that white tattoos and UV tattoos are trickier to have. Here are some of the most common tattoo designs plus what they could mean. You might find your next tattoo here:
- Cross – The cross is known as a symbol of Christianity. It allows people to show their faith through art. You can create various cross designs, but the most popular is the simple cross design. It can be tatted on the wrist, fingers, or ankles.
- Heart – Heart tattoos are a symbol of love and passion. It can be as simple as you want or complicated with lots of decorations.
- Infinity sign – This is yet another popular design which is often used by a group of friends or by couples. The symbol represents infinity, as the name suggests. Apart from that, it also symbolizes perfection and balance.
- Feathers – Feathers can be from different birds. And so, what the feather means depend on which bird it came from. However, general meanings include truth, freedom, travel, and beauty.
- Maps – You can get a design of the map of the world. Or you can just choose certain places. Nonetheless, this is perfect for people who love traveling.
- Arrows – Arrows have wide variety of meanings. What it means can depend on how many arrows there are, their position, and which direction they are facing. But it can be used to symbolize guidance and direction or the ability to move forward.
Feminine Tattoo Designs for Women
Women can get any design of tattoo they want. However, some designs have been more connected to women than men. These designs are often more delicate and simple. They also show more femininity and the meanings are well suited for a lot of women.
Here are the most popular designs you can have for white tattoos:
- Flowers – Flowers can have a multitude of meaning, usually depending on the type of flower. If you get a rose, it means passion and love. If you get a sunflower, it means happiness and warmth. But you can also get a floral design including a few different flowers.
- Mandala – Mandalas tend to be complicated with more geometric patterns. However, you can make it simpler than usual. This design means wholeness, balance, eternity, and perfection.
- Dove – Doves are known as symbol of peace. They are also connected to Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of Love. And so, they are also used to symbolize love and beauty.
- Butterflies – Butterflies are one of the most beautiful creatures in the world. Therefore, you can use it as a symbol of beauty. However, it is also an inspiring design as it can represent transformation. It could mean that you have transformed to a better version of yourself.
- Moon – The moon is often associated with women. This is largely due to its cycle’s similarity to a woman’s cycle. Moons are also depicted as women most of the time. This celestial goodness could mean strength, mysticism, and femininity.
- One worded quotes – Quotes are versatile and can be good for both men and women. However, one worded quote tattoos, especially those in calligraphy and script fonts look especially stunning.
You can create your own personal design to make it more unique. Get inspiration from movies, books, and songs you love.
Minimalist Designs for Men
Men are known to have complicated, bad-ass and masculine tattoo designs. While getting bigger and complicated white tattoos are possible, it’s also harder. That is why most tend to get minimalist and simpler tattoos. Here are some suggestions for minimalist designs for men:
- Lines and geometric patterns – These have stunning effect on men, especially around the arms. It’s a lot like tribal tattoo designs that make men extremely manly.
- Animals – Choosing animals that embody them is a normal tattoo design for men. Among the popular choices are the wolf and lion. Both represent strength and dominance.
- Skull – Skulls are often associated with death and negativity. However, this design actually means rebirth and the cycle of life.
- Mountains – Getting a tattoo of a mountain range could mean that you have overcome something major in life. In a way, it’s a symbol of resiliency and strength.
- Sun – While the moon is always associated with women, the sun is known as a symbol of masculinity. It can also be a symbol of inner strength and power.
- Anatomical heart – Getting a heart tattoo is normal. But for men, they can make it look manlier with an anatomical heart. It’s pretty much the real shape of our hearts in real life. It can symbolize love and passion but also a great design for those in the medical world.
Aftercare for white tattoos and black ones are pretty much the same. For both, you need to be extremely careful throughout the healing process. But since scars are more obvious with with inks, you have to be extra careful. You need to make sure you don’t pick at a scab or scratch the design, even with a cloth. Chances are you’re going to make it scar even more.
Apart from that, you’ll need to apply sunscreen every time you go out. This is a must especially when the tattoo is in an exposed area. As previously mentioned, white tattoos are extremely susceptible to fading. Getting it exposed in the sun for long periods of time makes fading faster.